[Blindapple] mac os7 and outspoken

frank cuta cuta at bentonrea.com
Sun Mar 2 16:26:51 EST 2014

It's a great list and a great name.
I would not change anything.
Frank Cuta

-----Original Message-----
From: blindapple-bounces at bluegrasspals.com
[mailto:blindapple-bounces at bluegrasspals.com] On Behalf Of Jayson Smith
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2014 11:40 PM
To: Apple Discussions
Subject: Re: [Blindapple] mac os7 and outspoken

Hi,

List owner/moderator here, with an explanation of why some people think
this list might be about Mac/iOS stuff, and why it probably shouldn't be.

I created this list near the end of 2004. At that time, I had an
interest in revisiting the Apple II series of computers. For that
matter, I still do, and thanks to MESS, this dream has become a reality,
even for those who don't have real Apple equipment. In 2004, the iPhone
didn't exist. The iPod probably existed in one form or another, but
probably was yet another piece of totally inaccessible technology. I
haven't done my research on this subject, so someone please correct me
if I'm wrong. Also, afaik, VoiceOver hadn't been made available on the
Mac, making that computer much less popular within the blind community
than it would ultimately become. In short, modern products and software
from Apple weren't being used by the blind to nearly the extent they are
today, so I felt safe in calling my list Blind Apple Discussions,
figuring anyone who subscribed would probably know I meant the older
Apple II computers. But now things have changed. Do you think I should
change the name of this list to make the intended topic clearer? Or do
you think it's good as things stand, with the occasional off-topic Mac
or iOS/iPhone-related question? I'd love to hear your thoughts!
Jayson