[Blindapple] female voice

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Tue Nov 5 09:07:39 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm not actually familiar with any disks that use the female voice, and
in fact, unless it used the EchoWords program, it wouldn't have to be
female. What basically happens when you hear a more natural sounding
Echo speech is that a human recorded the words that are spoken, and then
those recordings were converted to a highly compressed format. I
actually like the sort of robotic quality this format produces. It's
much the same as happens today with wav and MP3 files, except that back
then, what with a standard 5.25 disk being able to hold an absolute
maximum of 140K and the Enhanced IIe with extended 80-column card having
only 128K of RAM, and some of that needing to be used for DOS and other
programs, there's not much disk space or room in memory to work with, so
they did the best they could.
Jayson