[Blindapple] Emulating Echo

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 30 04:41:47 EDT 2005

Hi,
I'm not surprised it wasn't that easy to find out what Textalker is doing.
Textalker is no doubt communicating with the Echo card via its own custom
protocol, not using standard slot communication methods like for Super
Serial cards and serial ports.  This is because the Echo card doesn't have
the Text to speech logic onboard.  Textalker is responsible for all the
translation from text to control signals sent to the Echo card to generate
the speech sounds.
As further proof that Echo doesn't accept standard communication, my GS has
an Echo in slot 4.  If, from Applesoft, I pr#4 my 3.5 disk in slot 5 boots,
since aparently there's nothing of interest in slot 4's memory space.  On
the other hand, if I put a Doubletalk in slot 4, then a pr#4 will let me use
Doubletalk speech, as the Doubletalk card does have all the TTS logic
onboard.
Jayson.