[Blindapple] Apple BBS

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sat Jul 30 03:52:56 EDT 2005

Hi all.  I played with kegs for several hours.  It is not hopeless.  I did
eventually get sound sort of working.  It wouldn't boot or let me into the
control panels, but I got it to beep when I randomly entered things.  This
looks like it might work.

All that would need to happen for it to be useful to us is to have it dump
the Apple output to the debug window.  When you start it, it pops up a new
window with the actual emulation but keeps a text window open also for
debug info.  If it would write the Apple screen to that window instead,
similar to A2, we would have an IIgs with sound.  Because of how it is
compiled under Windows, it should work fine with speech.  I am very hopeful
about this and I think this might be the best solution yet that we've come
across.

If Jayson doesn't hear from the developer soon, I might try writing to
him.  One major problem I had was trying to get the Command and Option keys
to work.  Apparently you do Control, Command, Escape to get into the IIgs
control panel.  I tried every key combination I could think of but nothing
worked.  F1 and F2 are supposed to work instead, but the start menu always
came up no matter what I tried.  I am not giving up though.  Also, I had
something odd with 0.91.  It wouldn't run under Windows.  It said that the
program wouldn't run in DOS mode even though I was running within
Windows.  I recompiled it and it seemed to work but F4 to enter the
configuration panel didn't do anything.

My father just had major surgery so I don't know how much time I'll have to
play with this.  I think I'll be at the hospital quite a bit so my time
will be limited, but I am fairly sure that somehow or other kegs could be
made to work for us.  I am certainly hoping.