[Blindapple] introduction

GUI Access guiaccess at covad.net
Thu Jul 28 10:10:46 EDT 2005

>Hi.  I can't comment on the different versions of that game, but I
>am aware of at least three different releases of the disk.  Two use
>the old 1.3 Textalker, one uses 3.1 or similar.  One sends text to
>both the Echo and the screen.  In other words, the only thing which
>really makes it accessible is that it uses Textalker.  The second
>uses phonemes and sends special strings directly to the Echo.  This
>is done to get better pronounciation.  This is probably the more
>common version and is what I have the most copies of.  The final
>version that I am aware of used the newer Textalker but I only used
>it once so I don't know what the differences are.  It had some nicer
>features but I don't know what.

I think the only one I've ever seen was the first one.  It definitely
used Textalker 1.3 but did not appear to do anything special to get
better pronunciation.

Did the other versions use large type?  One of the most impressive
things about this disk is that it had code that drew large print text
on the hi-res screen.  Of course it also mixed the text in with
graphics like in Space Invadors and Typing Game, but the effect was
most impressive.

GUI Access