[Blindapple] Eamon Newsletters

JM Casey crystallogic at ca.inter.net
Sat Nov 11 11:25:35 EST 2017

Hey Tony.

Thanks for the explanatory message. The short answer is that yes, I thought of running a virtual machine just to play Eamon games, but I’ve never created one before and yes, it does seem like a bit to go through just to get these games running. I have to spend most of my spare time these days looking for work, so haven’t really been tinkering much. *grins*

The Talking dosbox solution does seem like it’d be best. When I claimed that Eamon Deluxe didn’t work with screen-readers, I only meant that Windows 10 would not run Qbasic except under dosbox and I read a lot that kind of made me doubt it would even be worthwhile trying to get an old version of JAWS for Dos (if such a thing is still readily available) to work. Something about output to the soundcard. Anyway, I do not have a hardware synth, indeed; this is the only time I’ve considered that it might be an advantage now to have one!

I know Frank did care about the software’s accessibility; back when I was using Eamon Deluxe on my XP machine I had a problem and I contacted him about it. He suggested a fix for me right away (changing a couple of lines of the qbasic code) and I was up and running for a good while.

I’ll definitely give your package a try and report back. Offlist is probably best. Cheers.

JM