[Blindapple] Cheeziest Adventure of a Lifetime

Blake Roberts beroberts at hughes.net
Tue Jul 18 17:27:01 EDT 2017

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I found a text adventure Apple2 disk on Asimov called
Cheeziest Adventure of a Lifetime. I managed to make the game speak by
copying Textalker and replacing hello. When I tried copying Textalker load
code into the unmodified disk's Hello program, the result was the disk
entered an endless "ready" loop after the game partially loaded
automatically. So I went back to my modified version with Hello replaced
completely. The modified version which speaks most game text is attached. To
start the game after the Apple boots, type:

run game

As I told Tony Baechler off-list, I found two points at which the game does
not talk. A. When the game ends. Control-c usually fixes this problem. B.
Mid-game you are asked if you want to call long-distance bulletin boards or
sleep. The only fix I found for this problem was turning off the virtual
apple. Most of the choices in-game do talk. If anyone i.e. Tony would like
to try modifying the game code in an effort to fix these no-talking
situations, feel free.

Here is a link to the nontalking version if you need to see the original
disk's Hello program.

ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/adventure/CheeziestAdve
ntureOfALifetime.dsk

Blake