[Blindapple] new member and reading archives

Jayson Smith jaybird at bluegrasspals.com
Mon Jul 3 15:15:04 EDT 2017

Hi,

Jeff, welcome to the list! As far as extracting .gz files, yes, 7Zip can
do it. If you have the Gzip program from I think it's Gnu Binutils, that
will do it, too. The syntax for Gzip is gzip -d filename. The .gz file
will be deleted and replaced with the decompressed copy. For 7Zip, you
do 7z x filename. In this case, the .gz file will not be deleted.

Blake, as for putting Textalker on ProDOS disks, it's more difficult
than DOS 3.3, and in many cases may not even be possible depending on
how the program works. Before doing any of the following, make a backup
of the disk image in question.

The Textalker files you need are called Textalker and PT.OBJ. You can
find them on the Speaking Speller ProDOS (spellerp.dsk) file within the
Messapple package.

How you proceed from there depends on the disk. The ProDOS startup
sequence is different from DOS 3.3. When a ProDOS disk boots, the
bootloader in block 0 of the disk loads a file called ProDOS. This is
the operating system kernel. Once ProDOS is loaded, it runs a specific
file on the disk. This file is whatever is the first file in the main
directory that ends in .System. On a ProDOS disk that boots into
Applesoft, this will very likely be Basic.System. In fact, Basic.System
must be run in order to use Applesoft from within ProDOS. Many ProDOS
disks, though, have the main program as the .System file, and don't use
Applesoft at all.

If Basic.System is loaded, it looks for a Basic program called Startup
and runs it. This is like the Hello program DOS 3.3 runs at startup. If
you have a BASIC disk with ProDos, Basic.System, and Startup, add a
command like the following as early as possible in the Startup program:
0 PRINT CHR$(4),"BRUNTEXTALKER"
In this example, 0 represents the line number. Then save Startup and try
the disk. Don't be surprised if it still won't talk. Depending on what
the Startup program does, it could end up running some other application.

If the disk does not use Applesoft, you're probably out of luck unless
the program has some way to load Textalker, which most don't. A notable
exception is the Davex command shell. If Davex finds the PT.OBJ file in
its directory when it loads, it will install Textalker.

Hope this helps.

Jayson