[Blindapple] Slowness with emulator

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Nov 8 03:52:13 EST 2013

Hi, sorry for replying to yet another old post.  I've found a generic tip
which seems to help with very slow disks.  As Jayson says, putting a
different DOS on the disk can help, but I've found another solution.  I was
looking at a game which was very slow, but it wasn't using the disk drive.
If you have quick reflexes, there is a simple workaround.  Press the key to
toggle between full and partial keyboard emulation.  That's Scroll-lock in
Windows.  Be careful at this point because Escape will exit the emulator.
Press F10.  That makes the emulated system run at the fastest speed and
doesn't slow it down to the normal 1 MHZ Apple II processor speed.  You need
quick reflexes because it also speeds up the Echo, so you have to know when
to hit F10 again.  If you know the game or program stops and asks you for
input, you can wait until you hear it talk, press F10 to get back to normal
speed and Scroll-lock to switch back to full keyboard emulation.  Enter
review mode as normal and read the last line on the screen so you know what
it's asking you.  You have to be careful at this point because pressing
Escape to exit review will also exit the emulator if you forgot to switch
back to full keyboard emulation.  That happened to me and I had to start the
game over again.  I've found that this greatly speeds up slow loading games.
 I haven't tried it on Eamon yet, but I imagine it would help a lot as it
could take 10 minutes or more for a game to fully load into memory.  I got
kind of spoiled by A2 which always runs at full speed.  The other big issue
with Eamon and Pronto-DOS is that Pronto doesn't have a verify command, so
most Eamon games will bomb out when trying to run correctly.  I'm sure there
is a way around this, but I like the F10 solution better.