[Blindapple] BEX disks

Jayson Smith ratguy at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 23 07:57:12 EST 2006

Hi,
A while back I was given permission to distribute Raised Dot apple software,
and to crack BEX to nullify the copy protection.  My current thinking is to
distribute unmodified copies of BEX and provide a cracking disk that will
make any BEX disk a valid copy protected disk, with a preset, fixed name,
zip code and serial number.  Question is...  Can anybody think of anything
creative to put in these fields?  Now before you go getting any wild ideas,
these fields are restricted as follows.  The name can be at most sixteen
characters.  The zip code can be at most five characters.  The serial number
is five characters, a dash, and a number probably from 0 to 65535.  As far
as I know, all valid BEX serial numbers were five digits, a dash and a few
more digits.  Here's how it would appear on the screen.
BEX disk owned by: name here
Zip code: zip here
BEX serial number: abcde-fghi
Or something like that.  Note, valid copy protection is not required to run
BEX under A2 but the features available to you are limited, E.G. no
printing, input through slot, etc. since A2 doesn't emulate any serial
cards, etc.
Jayson.