[Blindapple] Important message! Spammer kicked off the list!

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Tue Oct 4 18:28:24 EDT 2005

Ah the good old Nigerian 419 scam
(known as such because of the section of criminal code in Nigeria which outlaws them).
Basicly, these work as follows.
you receive an email, as Jason did, promising that the sender has amazing amounts of money, which they are willing to share with you,
if you will help them to hide it from the nigerian (or other country - usually in Africa though), government.
In this scheme, the bank account is actually fairly unimportant, what is important is your address and phone number.
They keep in touch with you as though everything is going according to plan,
then all of a sudden there will be a problem of some sort with the legal process in their country,
and they will need a small sum (usually a few thousand dollars), to clear it up and continue the process.
The scam is successful because it relies on people's greed.
Your average mark will be prepared to make a small/moderate investment, if they believe that it will pay off in the long run.
As you go further along with this scam, the problems get bigger, and the amounts get larger, until either the mark runs out of money/patience,
or eventually they get "invited" to Nigeria, where they find out the game's up, and that they're not going to get anything.
(Usually after having also wasted the money for plane flights and accommodation).'
The really unlucky ones actually manage to track down the people behind the fraud, which often results in them getting assassinated.
These people are masters at what they do, and its nothing for them to bump off an unsuspecting "nigerian tourist".
So yes, heed jason's advice and  don't get yourself involved in any such schemes.
The golden rule is, if it sounds too good to be true, that's because it is.
Regards
Aaron