[Blindapple] Apple BBS

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Fri Jul 29 02:32:26 EDT 2005

Hi.  I might have spoken a bit too soon on this.  It would be not a BBS
related to the Apple but an actual BBS running under A2.  That means there
would be only two floppy drives and it would be entirely emulated.  I
haven't figured out logistics of this yet, but security is a major concern
of mine.  I was thinking of setting up a dummy Synchronet system and
setting up the A2 BBS as a door but I am rethinking that.  Maybe I would
just set up a dummy shell account and set a2 as the shell.  I don't
know.  The main thing is that people could shell to Linux from within the
emulator and there is the security risk.  I might play with it just to see
if it could be done though.  I have another emulator which runs under
DOSemu so maybe I would do it that way.  That actually emulates an IIe and
doesn't allow shelling to DOS I don't think.  We'll see what kind of
interest there is.  I also need to make sure the BBS software will work in
local mode without serial ports since it would be telnet only.