[Blindapple] introduction

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Jul 27 01:31:12 EDT 2005

Hi.  As far as I know, I still have it.  I think I actually have a couple
different versions of it.  Getting it out of storage and into a disk image
form is a different matter though.  I was going to get an IIgs but I've
given up on that.  Besides I have nowhere to put it and I don't know the
first thing about imaging.  Also to be honest I don't really have enough of
an interest now to make it worth my while.  I still like and collect Apple
stuff, but I've pretty much resigned myself to leaving my Apple stuff in
storage permanently, at least until I find lots of room to set up another
computer.  I don't have the luxury of a basement or other spare rooms, and
I have three or four computers set up already.

Now, about emulating the Echo card.  This might be easier than you would
think.  Actually emulating the Echo sound would probably be
impossible.  You might as well forget about hearing an Echo voice come out
of your emulated Apple.  However, there might still be a way.  I know of at
least two emulators with source available.  Actually three, but one never
got completed.  I am only talking about emulators which are
accessible.  One is called A2 and is written in C.  The other is Applemu
and is written in assembly so it would be hard to port to anything but
DOS.  The third is Appleemu and is also in C and assembler but was never
finished.  Probably the easiest one to hack would be A2.  It runs best on
Linux but can be made to run under DOS.  Somehow it would need to be
programmed to set up a dummy card in slot 4 or somewhere that the Echo
goes.  That way you could run Textalker and it wouldn't crash.  Also
somehow that slot would have to route everything to a port, such as a
serial port.  What you could then do is plug in something like the DEC-Talk
Express into a serial port, run the emulator, brun textalker, and you would
have approximately the same thing as an Echo emulator.

Now, if you know anything about speech, you will see one obvious
problem.  That is that the codes for the Litetalk, DEC-Talk etc are
completely different than the Echo.  Actually in that regard the Litetalk
would be the easiest to work with because the codes are very similar.  My
solution to that would be to write a new, specialized Textalker or maybe
look at Scat for the Doubletalk.  Someone would have to change all the
codes to match the other synthesizer.  Another option would be to do that
within the program itself.  In other words, when Control E, C is sent to
slot 4, increase the speech rate to 300 words per minute or something by
sending the [: code.  That would be a lot of extra programming though, but
Textalker is simple enough that it would not be impossible.

Finally, there is yet another idea which might work but I haven't tested
it.  I have an alternative screen reader for the Apple.  It is not
Textalker but is similar.  It's supposed to be compatible.  I think, but
I'm not sure, that I have source.  In that case, it's just a matter of
compiling that screen reader and using it in place of Textalker.  Routing
the slot to the serial port is easy, Applemu will do it already.  A2
supports dumping anything sent to a printer to a log file, so something
similar could be done to send slot 4 to Com1 or ttyS0.  Jayson also has
this screen reader but it isn't otherwise in general distribution.  Even if
it doesn't have source, I think it supports other synths easily
enough.  Any thoughts?  Any programmers on this list?